Military Dental Insurance: How Does It Work And Do You Need It
If you currently work or have worked in the US Armed Forces, you’re probably entitled to military dental insurance. TRICARE military dental plans offer affordable dental care for you, your spouse, and your children.
Since these programs are run by the government through selected providers, there is no need to shop around for the best deal. But you might still have questions about what the insurance covers and whether it’s worth getting for you and your family members.
In this article, you’ll find information on dental insurance for both active and retired military personnel so you can make a more informed decision. Our full article on the best dental insurance has more information about regular dental plans, so you can compare your options.
If you’re ready to find a military dental insurance plan that works for you and your family, you can easily browse a wide range of plans on Dentalinsurance.com. This online marketplace makes it fast and convenient to search and compare insurance plans and discount plans in your state. Plus, you can call one of their helpful licensed agents at if you need some help along the way.
All you have to do is enter your zip code and date of birth, and you’ll see all the dental cover options in your area.
The Tricare Retiree Dental Program
TRICARE’s military dental insurance for retired personnel is administered by a different provider: Delta Dental. Delta has held this contract since 2012 and now insures over 1.5 million Uniformed Services retirees.
Under the TRDP, military retirees of any age can receive affordable dental care both in the United States and internationally. The dental cover includes a wide range of dental treatments including dentures, dental implants, braces, and accident and emergency cover.
Eligible retirees can also enroll their spouses, plus children up to age 21 .
Members can enroll at any time, but those who sign up within four months of retiring get to skip the 12-month waiting period that usually applies to certain major treatments .
You can see any dentist with a TRDP plan, but Delta says its enrollees save an average of 22% by visiting a TRDP network dentist. This is because these dentists have pre-agreed maximum amounts to charge for each type of treatment.
Another benefit is that network dentists handle your claim directly with the insurer rather than you having to pay the full amount up-front and then submit tiresome claim forms.
Tricare Retiree Dental Program
The TRICARE Retiree Dental Program is available to retired service members and their families for coverage in all U.S. territories and Canada.
TRICARE Retiree Dental Program Eligibility
The TRICARE Retiree Dental Program is available to:
- Service members entitied to retired pay, regardless of age
- National Guard and Reserve retirees, including those who are not yet receiving retired pay
- Current spouses
- Children up to age 21
- Surviving spouses who have not remarried and surviving children of service members, providing the service member passed away during active duty or retired status
- Medal of Honor recipients, their immediate family members, or their survivors
- Current spouses and children of service members not enrolled in the program, provided that the sponsor is receiving dental benefits from the VA or is otherwise unable to obtain benefits for family members
TRICARE Retiree Dental Program Coverage and Costs
Retired service members and their families are eligible to enroll immediately upon retirement or any time thereafter, and must commit to an initial 24 months of coverage, renewable annually after the initial enrollment period.
The TRICARE Retiree Dental Program covers:
- Exams, routine cleanings, fluoride treatments, and x-rays
Also Check: New York State Retirement System Login
Who Is Eligible For Retired Military Dental Insurance
At least one of the following qualifications must be true to qualify for FEDVIP discounted retired military dental insurance. You must be:
- Over the age of 65 and qualified to receive retired military pay.
- A member of the Retired Reserve or Guard.
- A retired gray-area reservist set to begin receiving retired military benefits beginning at age 60.
- The spouse of a retired service member who is already enrolled with FEDVIP.
- The child of a service member who receives FEDVIP benefits you must be under age 21 or a full-time student under age 23.
- The unmarried surviving spouse of a service member who died in the line of duty or as the result of a service-related injury or illness.
- A Medal of Honor recipient or the spouse of a Medal of Honor recipient.
You may enroll in FEDVIP only during the open enrollment period. This period usually begins in mid-November and runs until late December. However, you may qualify for a special enrollment period if youve experienced any of the following qualifying life events:
- Lost your dental insurance
- Gained a new family member
- Lost a family member
- Moved to another ZIP code and no longer have dental insurance because your provider doesnt service your new area
Not sure you qualify for a special enrollment period? Create an enrollment profile at BENEFEDS.
Military Dental Insurance Benefits From United Concordia
The TRICARE Dental Program is a kind of PPO plan, which means you receive set discounts on treatments at TDP network dentists. You can still visit any dentist you wish outside of the network, but your out-of-pocket costs may be higher.
TDP benefits depend on your pay grade and service area. In the table below,below, you can see the schedule for some common treatments at an approved network dentist. The percentages shown are the amount paid by the insurer.
These amounts are subject to an annual maximum benefit of $1,500 per person. In addition, there is a $1,200 annual maximum per person for dental accident coverage and a $1,750 lifetime limit for orthodontics.
Don’t Miss: Spectrum Retirement Communities St Louis
Dental Benefits For Survivors
If your sponsor died while serving on active duty, you may qualify for the TRICARE Dental Program Survivor Benefit Plan.
- We pay 100% of your monthly premium.
- You pay your cost shares for covered services.
If you were using the TRICARE Dental Program when your sponsor died, youre automatically transferred to the Survivor Benefit Plan. If not, you can enroll at any time. > > Go to Enrollment
After three years, surviving spouses lose eligibility for the TRICARE Dental Program. Surviving spouses then become eligible for FEDVIP dental plans. Surviving children can remain enrolled in TRICARE Dental Plan until they lose TRICARE eligibility for other reasons.
Military Retiree And Dependent Fedvip Dental And Vision Plans
During Open Season military retirees can enroll in any of eight different vision plans. In addition, family members of uniformed service members, of reserve component members, and survivors who are enrolled in a TRICARE health plan will be able to enroll in any of these eight vision plans. This vision coverage is available as an additional benefit not previously available.
Uniformed personnel will continue to receive dental and vision services through TRICARE.
The dental plans:
- cover 100 percent of the cost of in-network preventive services,
- do not have deductibles when using network dentists,
- cover almost all major dental procedures such as crowns, bridges, dentures, and implants with varying levels of cost sharing,
- in most cases cover orthodontic costs for both children and adults, and
- generally provide benefits out-of-network and even abroad at somewhat greater cost
The vision plans:
- cover an annual eye exam at little or no cost,
- provide eyeglass lenses and frames at little or no cost ,
- provide contact lenses at little or no cost,
- provide discounts for laser surgery, and
- generally provide benefits out-of-network and even abroad at somewhat greater cost.
Read Also: Businesses For Retirees To Start
Coverage For Members Of The Reserve Force
As a part of the Reserve Health Benefit Plan, some Reserve Force members and their dependants are eligible to participate in the Reserve Dental Care Plan. The rules of eligibility are:
- A member who is enrolled in the Primary Reserve, who is not covered by any other dental plan or programme and is in good standing with the Unit, may request and be assigned a reserve dental plan certificate number and will be covered by the plan. For new enrolments, the member will be eligible to participate in the plan on the day following three months of service.
- A member serving on Class A or Class B service is entitled to dental care coverage for him/herself only, under this plan.
- A member serving on Class B service is entitled to comprehensive dental care through CF dental units. The member’s eligible dependants, however, become eligible to claim for reimbursement of eligible dental services under this plan, for the duration of the member’s Class B service.
Choose The Best Military Dental Insurance
The specific plan options youll have available to you will depend on where you live and the dental insurance companies licensed to operate in your area. Be sure to get a few quotes from competing insurance companies to ensure that you dont overpay for coverage. The best retired military dental insurance should serve your needs and ensure that you get the level of coverage you need. Because each family is different, shop around for the appropriate insurance policy before simply accepting the first plan you find.
You May Like: Employees Retirement System Of Texas Phone Number
Maximum Reimbursement For Dental Services
Except for orthodontic services, there is a reimbursement limit of $1,700 per calendar year per covered person for all eligible dental services. If you, your eligible spouse or common-law partner and/or children join the DCP on or after July 1 of any given year, the maximum reimbursement amount per person, excluding orthodontic services, is $850 for that year.
Orthodontic services are subject to a separate lifetime limit of $2,500 for each covered person for all eligible orthodontic services.
When Can You Enroll Or Change Your Fedvip Coverage
You can only begin or change your FEDVIP dental coverage during the open season which normally runs from mid-November to mid- December every year.
You can begin, end or change your coverage at any time if you have a “Qualifying Life Event” such as:
- Loss or other dental coverage
- Gaining a new family member
- Losing a family member
- Or other reasons
Your dependent children are covered until age 22. If you die, your family members can continue their coverage.
Read Also: Best Retirement Plans For 20 Year Olds
Military Retiree Dental Insurance Program Through Fedvip What You Need To Know
Advertiser Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the authors alone. This article may contain links from our advertisers. For more information, please see our .
In 2019, the Tricare Retiree Dental Program closed its doors and military retirees and their qualified dependents were transitioned to the Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program . Closing the TRDP allowed the government to streamline operations while also providing military retirees and their families with a greater number of dental providers to choose from. Of course, military retirees are also able to obtain dental or vision insurance through their civilian employer if offered or pay for their dental costs directly.
What Is The Best Dental Insurance For Retired Military
The TRICARE dental program is available to retired military, and it hashas some benefits,benefits, like an allowance for braces, no waiting period and no annual deductible. However, it may not be the bestthe best for everyone. Some people find that dental discount plans or even private insurance are a better option for them.
You May Like: Retirement Communities In Blacksburg Va
Canadian Forces Dependants’ Dental Care Plan
In June 1987, the Treasury Board Secretariat of Canada approved the implementation of the Canadian Forces Dependants’ Dental Care Plan . The plan became effective on 1 October 1987 for all Regular Force and Reserve Force members on Class C service to provide dental coverage for their dependants. Once enrolled in the CF for 3 months, members are eligible to join this voluntary premium free plan through their unit orderly room.
Canadian Forces Dental Care Plan Guide revision 1.3
Here Are Your 2022 Military Fedvip Dental And Vision Rates
Military retirees and their families as well as active-duty and guard or reserve military dependents can now see options and prices for 2022 insurance coverage through the Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program .
FEDVIP is the system through which military retirees purchase dental coverage. Active-duty families as well as guard and reservists and their families enrolled in Tricare Reserve Select can use it to purchase vision coverage.
Open season is the time each year when you can make changes to your FEDVIP coverage for the following year. The rest of the year, you can make changes only if you have a Qualifying Life Event such as moving to a new area or changing your number of dependents.
This year’s open season will run from Nov. 8 through Dec.13, 2021.
The average FEDVIP dental insurance premiums will increase by 0.81%, and the average vision plan premiums will increase by 0.95% for 2022.
Like last year, this year there will be at least 12 dental and five vision insurance options available, depending on your location.
The FEDVIP website contains pricing information as well as details of covered procedures and a comparison tool which allows you to research the costs and coverage of all the different plans. You can also see the different levels of coverage available for your location and choose what fits your situation.
Read Also: Nationwide Retirement Solutions Phone Number
Dental Coverage For Tricare Retirees
Sponsored: Dominion Dental Services is proud to be one of the FEDVIP dental carriers available to you. We are the only Dental HMO plan offered through FEDVIP and are available to residents of DC, DE, MD, PA and VA. to compare plans, view rates, search for a dentist and access additional resources.
With a wide selection of 10 different FEDVIP dental plans to choose from, below are some factors to consider when making the best choice.
Sponsored: To enroll in one of Dominions dental plans, visit the BENEFEDS website during Open Season. Open Season runs from November 12, 2018 through December 10, 2018 EST.
Types Of Dental Coverage
FEDVIP dental insurance plans are serviced by private companies. These companies often offer both DHMO and PPO coverage. Lets take a look at the differences.
- Dental health maintenance organizations : DHMOs have a set network of dental service providers that accept your insurance. When you sign onto a DHMO plan, your insurance provider gives you a list of dentists in your network who accept your insurance plan. If you need dental work or services, you must go to one of the dentists in your network. Otherwise, you cannot use your benefits. DHMOs are usually the most affordable dental insurance options youll find but service areas can be quite limited.
- Preferred provider organizations : You can choose to see any dentist youd like if you have a PPO plan though you can almost always save money by visiting an in-network provider. PPO plans are usually more expensive than DHMO plans, but they might be worth the extra expense if you already have a dentist you like.
Who Can Get Tdp
TDP is available to the dependents of active duty service members. This voluntary dental insurance is also available to eligible members of the National Guard, the Reserve, and their family members. Covered individuals can seek dental services under Tricare within the U.S. and overseas. To be eligible, the family members military sponsor must have no less than 12 months remaining of their military service commitment. Unmarried children of service members age out of the plan at 21 years, or if theyre in college when they reach 23 years of age. Enrollment periods are 12 months long.
Delta Dental Is Here For You
In FEDVIP, Delta Dental offers a choice between two great plans to meet your needs.
The Standard Plan option oers quality care at a low premium and per person in-network maximum of $1,500.
The High Plan option oers greater coverage, including adult orthodontics, and unlimited in-network annual maximum.
Preventive care is critical to your overall health and shouldnt cost you anything. Thats why its 100% covered under Delta Dentals FEDVIP plans when you visit an in-network dentist.
Why Might I Want To Buy Private Dental Insurance Through Vadip As A Veteran
While some Veterans enrolled in VA health care are eligible for free dental care from our providers, many are not. Others may be eligible for free care for some, but not all, of their dental needs.
If youre not eligible for free VA dental care, VADIP can help you buy private dental insurance at a reduced cost.
If youre eligible for free VA care for some of your dental needs, you can buy a VADIP plan if you want added dental insurance. Signing up for VADIP wont affect your ability to get free VA dental care.
Members Of The Reserve Force
All claims for members or their eligible dependants, if admissible, must be completed with the appropriate information and approved by the Unit Orderly Room with the application of the PRes Health Benefits Plan approval stamp before they are submitted to the administrator.
Attach your bills or receipts, making sure they give full details for services rendered or purchases made.
Recommended Reading: How Much Should A Married Couple Have For Retirement