Jobs For Mature Professionals
A resume, also known as the CV, is a summary of your professional experience, education and training, and skills. Recruiters use resumes to determine which candidates for the role are suitable for interview. That’s why a resume is a key tool for anyone who is searching for a job.
If you’re thinking about the ideal resume format for 50-year-olds, it’s worth knowing that there are several types of resumes you can use in your job search:
- A reverse chronological resume lists your experience and job roles from the most recent to the oldest.
- A functional resume focuses more on skills and ability than timing.
- A hybrid or combination resume that includes both skills and job roles.
Learn more about resumes in What is a Resume?
When you look at resume examples for older workers, it seems that a functional resume could be the best choice. That’s because by omitting dates, you won’t be excluded because of your age. But, as you’ll see later, it’s not quite so simple. There are some dates you’ve got to include.
Whichever type of resume you choose, most sample resumes for older workers have some common elements. These include an introductory section, contact details, and information about skills, experience, education, and training. We’ll look at these in more detail in the next section.
Best Resume Format For A Retired Person
When writing a resume for retirees, you may either use the chronological or functional format. You should have a good idea of how a traditional chronological resume is written. In this format, you will have to list all the positions that you have held, starting with the latest, and in the reverse order.
Alternatively, you may opt for the functional format. This format involves you listing the work that qualifies you the most for a role at the upper part of your CV. The time that you held the position shouldnt be considered. It is the best method of making career changes less evident and removing gaps from ones employment history.
Which is the ideal format for a returning to work after retirement resume? A chronological resume is more suitable for someone who is trying to get to a field he or she has just retired from. Meanwhile, a functional resume is an ideal choice for people that retired a while ago or took a break in between their careers.
What Is A Retired Resume Objective
Retired individuals may use a resume objective when returning to the workforce. It’s a statement that provides information about your work experience, skills and professional goals. When creating a resume as a retiree, it may be useful to include an objective statement that demonstrates your areas of expertise and work interests.
You May Like: Federal Employees Retirement System Death Benefits
Responsibilities For Agent Manager Medicare & Retirement Resume
- Strong MS Office Access, Excel and Word skills
- Multi-task oriented and excellent Negotiation skills
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal and presentation skills required
- Strong HRIS and project management skills
- Excellent people skills that provide the ability to collaborate and communicate within a team and cross functionally with other team members
- Experience: 5 years of sales and service experience in the retirement plans field, or an equivalent combination of education and/or related experience
Dont Miss: Awards And Acknowledgements On Resume
Address The Tech Elephant In The Room
Just because youre over 50 doesnt mean you lack technology skills, but that stereotype does exist, and you have to overcome itespecially for positions that require some digital savvy. In your resume and cover letter, talk about the technology you use and know well that is relevant to your field, says Weinstock.
Isaacs adds that including recent training completed, conferences attended, and involvement in professional organizations can be strong indicators that youve continued to learn and develop new skills. Even better? See if your tech skills can be woven into an accomplishment to show how the technology was used to achieve a desirable result, says Isaacs.
Also, go ahead and list your technology prowess in the skills section of your resume, but steer clear of mentioning anything thats outdated. Say Word 2016, not Word 2002, for instance.
Advice For Age Proofing Your Resume
Limiting what you include on your resume, from a chronological perspective, can help job seekers avoid the stigma of being considered “too old” by a prospective employer.
Also, showing that you’re up to speed with the latest technology and skills needed for your profession will help maximize your chances of getting selected for an interview. The following resume writing tips for older job seekers will help market your candidacy and showcase your skills to employers without highlighting your age.
List Older Skills Under Additional Relevant Experience
If you’re considering how to list old jobs on a resume, here’s a good tip you’ll see on many sample resumes for older workers. Create a section called “additional relevant experience”. That’s where you can list roles that relate to the job you’re going for WITHOUT the dates. This makes it less likely that recruiters will discriminate against you based on your assumed age.
Also Check: 4 Percent Rule Retirement Calculator
Describe How You Used Your Time For Development
If it has been over a year since you retired, you should describe how you utilized your time for growth. You should also add any volunteer work or new skills you acquired, they dont have to be related to the role that you are trying to get. For instance, you may mention how you participated in continuing education classes. Your potential employer will be more interested in hiring you if you show that you used your free time productively.
Leave Out Outdated Skills
If you look at a modern CV template for an older person, youll see it looks a bit different from older templates. Thats because the skills youve got to list are very different. Sure, 20 years ago, it was a big deal to be able to use Microsoft Office apps and different types of email software, but those are now foundational. If you list them as skills, it immediately dates your resume. Another tip is to avoid saying exactly how long youve had experience of a particular skill: its enough to say 10+ years.
Stephanie Holt, who advocates for women in STEM leadership, has this advice on skills from long ago:
It is critically important to have a real understanding about what the relevant skills currently are in your industry and to speak to those skills. Technology has made it so that over time what used to be considered skills are now considered a minimum requirement and those should be mastered but not mentioned.
Also Check: Retirement Communities Cedar Park Tx
Work Experience In Your Retirement Services Resume
The section work experience is an essential part of your retirement services resume. Its the one thing the recruiter really cares about and pays the most attention to.This section, however, is not just a list of your previous retirement services responsibilities. It’s meant to present you as a wholesome candidate by showcasing your relevant accomplishments and should be tailored specifically to the particular retirement services position you’re applying to.The work experience section should be the detailed summary of your latest 3 or 4 positions.
Representative Retirement Services resume experience can include:
- Prioritize activities and manage time to effectively and efficiently provide quality client service to our partners and clients
- Effectively explains compliance testing, testing limits, coding, refund taxation to clients, and corrective actions to all tests including
- Work with client, prior recordkeepers and internal ADP parties on missing information needed to complete conversion to ADP RS
- Manage a consolidation goal ranging from $4-6M per month for an assigned territory
- Thrive in a team environment and motivated to build relationships driving excellent team results
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with a wide variety of business partners
The Best Sample Resume For Retirees
Retired people often seek re-employment either to meet their financial needs or to get rid of their boredom.
Many professionals choose a career in consultancy related to their field.
Whatever the case may be, a retiree re-entering the job market definitely needs a resume.
We offer guidelines on how to build a resume once you have retired, along with a sample resume for a retired business professional seeking a career as a business consultant.
Considering you have been working at the same place for the past few years it is advisable to update and revitalize your resume as per modern resume writing standards.
Showcase the years of experience you have in the summary and use them to your candidacys benefit.
You probably have a long work history so express it as briefly as possible, focussing mainly on key accomplishments and latest held positions.
Here is a good example to get ideas from:
Resume Sample for Retirees
PERFORMANCE SUMMARYAccomplished business professional with vast experience in business development and resource allocation. A proven entrepreneur who is attentive to details and produces profitable results, known for taking initiative and meeting challenging deadlines. Substantial experience in the corporate sector within areas of project coordination, business continuity management, financial advisory, and impact analysis.
Recommended Reading: Maine Public Employees Retirement System
Skills For Retirement Analyst Resume
- Proficient personal computer skills including electronic mail, routine database activity, work processing, spreadsheet, etc
- Prior experience recruiting and building successful sales team
- Demonstrated experience developing and maintaining executive/key influencer/buyer relationships at client institutions
- Retirement benefit plan experience including: plan sponsor, consulting, or administration experience with qualified retirement plans
- Retirement plan experience including plan sponsor, consulting, or administration experience with qualified retirement plans
- Experience working with defined contribution or defined benefit retirement plans, including extensive plan design experience
- Established relational skills such as diplomacy, judgment, decision making, and discretion
- Demonstrated experience in implementing retirement plan strategies
- Have outstanding quantitative and analytical skills
Format The Objective Properly
Before writing your objective statement, it’s important to format it properly on your resume. Place the statement at the top of your document, just below the header that contains your contact information. By placing it in this spot, hiring mangers may be able to understand your background before reviewing the rest of your qualifications. Title this section of your resume with, “Objective” or “Objective Statement”.
You May Like: Bear Canyon Estates Retirement Community
Choose The Best Type Of Resume For Showcasing Your Relevant Experience
Hiring managers focus on your skills and experience to determine if youre a good fit for the position. So choose a resume format that showcases your most relevant qualifications.
For example, a chronological resume is ideal if you have no career gaps because it clearly shows your career progression. But a functional resume emphasizes your skills and education, so its best if you have minimal relevant experience in your target industry.
Have A Strong Elevator Pitch
You should be able to quickly and concisely talk about what youve done, what youre doing, and where you want to go.
Have a 15-second version, a 30-second version, and a two-minute version for the interview, Patel says. If you know what youre talking about and you sound articulate, theyll know right off the bat that youre not there to waste their time.
This includes being clear about why youre considering working after retirement. You do need to have a good reason for coming back, and it shouldnt just be, Im out of money, says Dana Theus, an executive and career coach with InPower Coaching.
You May Like: Roth Conversion Strategies For 65 Retired Person
How To Apply For A Job When You Are Retired For Ten Years
Many individuals decide to re-enter the workforce after several years of retirement. Some retirees miss the camaraderie of a workplace environment, while others need the money to supplement retirement income. A successful resume for a retired person should highlight past achievements and experience while detailing people and teamwork skills, customer service training and a willingness to learn new things.
Retirement Specialist Resume Samples
A Retirement Specialist guides the employees in managing their pension or benefit plans. A well-drafted Retirement Specialist Resume focuses on such duties as assisting employees with their retirement benefit plans, presenting retirement plans in an understandable and clear manner, filing retirement plans as per relevant regulations, assisting employees in creating a benefit plan that matches with their future needs, explaining complicated investment packages to employees, and working collaboratively with the HR team of the company.
Eligible resumes declare these qualifications financial expertise, comfortable dealing with huge numbers, knowledge of retirement options, familiarity with savings and pension programs, the ability to work in accordance with federal and company regulations, and discretion to maintain confidentiality. Typical resumes in this field make a display of a bachelors degree in Finance or Human Resources.
Recommended Reading: Otterbein Retirement Community St Marys Ohio
Add Only Relevant Information
Try not to include information that isnt related to the role that you are applying for. Old positions and expired certifications should be excluded. Check out job listings for your past roles and ensure that your language is in line with that of others in the industry.
That way, you can create a trendy job history. Also, you should only reference dates or years of experience that pertain to the job description. For instance, you may write that you have a decade worth of experience in sales.
Whats The Best Resume Format
There is no such thing as the best resume format. The type of resume you choose should be based on your work history, work experience, skills, and qualifications. Here are examples of the formats you can use, and who should use them:
You May Like: How To Check Retirement Account
What Should I Put On My First Cv
Use your list of achievements to match your experiences and skills with the job requirements. Avoid long paragraphs and use short sentences or bullet points to make your CV easy to digest and to highlight key information. Example: As captain of the school hockey team, I have experience of both leadership and teamwork.
How To Write The Best Farewell Email To Co
If youre in a client-facing role or work with people outside your company, dont forget to send them an email. Youll likely want to do this shortly after you put your notice in with the company but once youve figured out what the transition will look like. Once youve determined the new point of contact, send out your goodbye email.
Don’t Miss: Retirement Communities Near Sarasota Florida
Experience For Retirement Plan Administrator Resume
- Monitor Pension Administrator vendor activity including vendor compliance with service level agreements, key metrics and ongoing performance reporting
- Counsel TDA management on IRS, DOL and ERISA, including by identifying risks and proposing alternative structures to mitigate risks in current operations
- Responsible for escalating issues and identifying implications of business changed from original approach and engaging cross functional team to evaluate impact
- Establish a market-leading narrative, value proposition, and messaging, including support of thought leadership content
- Prepare for compliance testing including ADP/ACP, coverage and top heavy
Experience For Retirement Plan Manager Resume
- Possesses a good understanding of Fidelitys products, procedures and customers needs
- A good knowledge of Fidelitys internal Operating systems would be advantageous
- Omni recordkeeping system experience
- Strong knowledge of banking, SEC, DOL, IRS, FDIC and securities industry requirements, regulations, and laws
- Ten + years of experience in Plan Design, Compliance, and Accounting
- Maintain a good working knowledge of Retirement Plan products available in the market use this knowledge to market products to bank clients and non-clients
- Five or more years of experience in pension plan administration, audit, finance, benefits finance, accounting or related field
- Multitask, shift priorities, and work under pressure with competing daily deadlines
You May Like: Is Pera A Good Retirement Plan
Experience For Retirement Benefits Analyst Resume
- Acting as point of contact for Financial Advisors and help desk inquires on non-compliant document issues
- Providing subject matter expertise support for the retirement plan products to internal operations, help desk and information technology partners
- Ongoing client contact to assist with day to day service issues and vendor management
- Establishing relationships with community-based organizations, Medical Groups/Providers and distribution channels to generate business
- Reconciling checks received with print control forms
- Printing express delivery labels
- Partnering with relevant stakeholders to ensure consistent service delivery and process alignment across EMEA
- Understanding of retirement plan design and familiarity with proto-type documents
Show How You’re Qualified
Target Your Resume. Take the time to write a targeted resume thats customized so that it specifically highlights the experience you have thats relevant to the specific job opening youre applying for. The same targeted resume wont work for every job, and youll need a different one for each job opening.
Highlight Your Skills. All your years of experience probably means youve built up an impressive skill set. Shine a light on the skills that are most valuable and that show youre comfortable with contemporary technology. Promote the fact that you’re up-to-date with current technology by including the latest programs and apps you know how to use and leaving off out-of-date technology.
Show You’re Connected. Include a . This will show hiring managers you’re engaged in current means of communicating and networking. Depending on your usage, you may want to list your social media handles as well, such as Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram but only if theyre up to professional scrutiny.
Polish Your Resume. Presentation matters. Make sure your resume is polished and well presented. You don’t want your resume to look old-fashioned. Hire a resume writer or browse the various resume sites to find the latest templates that will give your resume a fresh look.
Also Check: How To Find A Retirement Home